What is DHCP Lease time & How to change the DHCP lease? In this article, OsGodz will show everything you need to know about these questions. In addition, you can read other articles on our websites to find the best solutions for the problems you will face while using a computer.
What is DHCP Lease Time?
Your ISP (Internet Service Provider) assigns a Dynamic IP address to your computer to lease. So, DHCP lease time is the number of minutes or seconds a network device can use that IP address in a network.
After the lease is over, your computer will renew the lease time and get a new IP address from the DHCP server.
So, DHCP lease time is the time a device is allowed to use that IP address. However, you can change the lease time in Windows 10.
How to Check DHCP Lease Time Windows 10?
You can use the introduction below to learn how to check DHCP lease time in Windows 10.
Here is how to check DHCP lease time:
- Open the command prompt.
- Type the command, ipconfig /all in the command line window & hit Enter to continue.
- You can find the Lease Obtained and Lease Expired in the command line window, as you can see in the screenshot below.
You can use that command to display the full TCP/IP configuration for all adapters.
Now you know how to check DHCP lease time. Let’s learn how to change the DHCP lease time Windows 10.
How to Change DHCP Lease Time Windows 10
We will show you how to change DHCP lease time windows 10 in this simple guide.
How to Change DHCP Lease time Windows 10 [Router]
You can easily change DHCP lease time Windows 10 via Router.
You can follow the steps in the tutorial below to do it:
- Open any web browser on your PC (Chrome/ Opera/ Firefox etc)
- Enter the IP address of your router in the search bar. (Usually, it would be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.8.1)
- Enter your UserName and Password to access the router settings page.
- Now you need to find the Router Configuration page to check the DHCP server module. Usually, it is located on the Advanced settings.
5. As you can see, the default DHCP Leased time is 1 day (24 hours).
6. Now you can change the DHCP lease time as you need and click Save to confirm.
That’s all you need to do if you want to change the DHCP lease time via Router.
It would be best to reboot your computer, and you will see the DHCP lease time has changed successfully.
How to Change DHCP Lease Time Windows 10 [DHCP Server]
You have already learned about changing DHCP lease time Windows 10 via Router. You can also change DHCP lease time Windows 10 via DHCP server too.
You can follow the steps in the guide below to change DHCP lease time via DHCP server:
- Open Run Dialog. (Shortcut: Windows+R)
- Type dhcpmgmt.msc and click OK to proceed.
- Right-click and go to the properties of the DHCP scope.
- Now you can see Lease time duration for DHCP clients. Go to the General tab.
- Change the DHCP lease time as you need and click Ok to save settings.
That’s all you need to do to change the DHCP lease time. Now reboot your computer to refresh new settings.
So finally, You know what the DHCP lease time is, and you know how easy it is to change the DHCP lease time Windows 10. When you need to change the DHCP lease time Windows, you can use these simple introductions to change it right away. Do you know another better ways to change DHCP lease time? Please share it with us in the comments section below.